On December 5, 2022, the Division of Examinations (Division) published a Risk Alert that reported observations from recent examinations of SEC-registered investment advisers (RIAs) and broker-dealers related to their compliance with Regulation S-ID. The goal of the...
On November 15, 2022, the SEC announced its enforcement results for fiscal year 2022. Despite the lingering impact of COVID 19, the SEC filed 760 enforcement actions and recovered a record $6.439 billion in penalties and disgorgement on behalf of investors. The...
Recently the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) released its annual Enforcement Report. The publication highlighted the investigations and enforcement actions taken by state securities regulators to protect investors and maintain the...
SEC’s Staff Bulletin Explains How Investment Advisers and Broker-Dealers Should Deal with Conflicts of Interest
On August 3, 2022, the SEC published a Staff Bulletin, which discussed investment advisers’ and broker-dealers’ conflicts of interest. The Staff Bulletin offered guidance on how firms can identify, eliminate, mitigate, and disclose those conflicts of interest. The...
Regulation S-ID, commonly known as the Identity Theft Red Flags Rule, is designed to help protect investors from the risks of identity theft. Red flags are defined as a pattern, practice, or specific activity indicating the possible existence of identity theft....
For Chief Compliance Officers (CCOs) who worry that they face personal liability for their mistakes, a recent enforcement action should provide some degree of comfort. After the CCO for a Georgia-based Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) was found personally liable by...
On April 27, 2022, the SEC announced that it settled charges against a Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) in Downers Grove, Illinois. The SEC alleged that the RIA breached its fiduciary duty to advisory clients by failing to: Fully disclose its conflicts of interest;...
The SEC’s Division of Examinations (Division) recently announced its priorities for the 2022 fiscal year. Not unexpectedly, as part of the Division’s focus on protecting retail investors, examinations will scrutinize whether firms are satisfying their obligations...
The long wait for the SEC’s 2022 examination priorities is finally over. On March 30, 2022, the SEC’s Division of Examinations (Division) announced its priorities for the 2022 fiscal year. By reviewing these priorities, Registered Investment Advisers (RIAs) will be...
If Registered Investment Advisers (RIAs) and broker-dealers have not gotten the message about the importance of meeting their Form CRS obligations, the SEC has sent another shot across the bow. On February 15, 2022, the SEC announced that six RIAs and six...
- Activision Blizzard to Pay $35 Million for Failing to Maintain Disclosure Controls Related to Complaints of Workplace Misconduct and Violating...on February 3, 2023 at 12:39 pm
The Securities and Exchange Commission today announced that Activision Blizzard Inc., a video game development and publishing company, agreed to pay $35 million to settle charges that it failed to maintain disclosure controls and procedures to […]
- SEC Publishes Annual Staff Report on Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organizationson February 2, 2023 at 3:16 pm
The Securities and Exchange Commission today published a staff report that provides a summary of the staff’s examinations of nationally recognized statistical rating organizations (NRSROs) and discusses the state of competition, transparency, […]
- Small Business Advisory Committee to Host Meeting to Discuss Alternatives to Traditional Private Company Financing, Private Fund Reforms, and Public...on January 31, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The Securities and Exchange Commission’s Small Business Capital Formation Advisory Committee today released the agenda for its meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 7. The Committee will discuss alternative approaches to private company financing, the […]
- SEC Proposes Updates to Ethics Rules Governing Securities Trading by Personnelon January 30, 2023 at 8:45 pm
The Securities and Exchange Commission today proposed amendments to its ethics rules to strengthen and modernize its ethics compliance program. The amendments would add new requirements and prohibitions to the program, which already includes some of […]
- Silvestre Fontes Named Director of Boston Regional Officeon January 25, 2023 at 6:00 pm
The Securities and Exchange Commission today announced that Silvestre A. Fontes has been named Regional Director of the Boston office, starting next week.John Dugan and Kevin Kelcourse, who have served as Acting Co-Regional Directors, will remain […]
DIVISION OF INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT NEWS
- Annoucement: Updates to Proxy Rules and Schedules 14A/14Con February 5, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Proxy Rules and Schedules 14A/14C
- Exchange Act Forms, Section 110. Form 20-Fon January 31, 2023 at 9:00 pm
- Exchange Act Forms, Section 104. Form 10-kon January 31, 2023 at 9:00 pm
- Exchange Act Forms, Section 110. Form 40-Fon January 31, 2023 at 9:00 pm
- Exchange Act Forms, Section 104. Form 10-Kon January 31, 2023 at 9:00 pm